Some people take a narrow approach to their athletic activity. Doing workouts in the gym or at home focused on one of the types of exercises that they find most comfortable to do. It is better than doing nothing. However, by performing an integrated approach to these types of exercises, you can develop different aspects of your physical health.
Improving them and, as a result, increase your level of well-being and physical attributes.
What does an integrated approach to training mean?
These are the main level-up exercises:
Naturally, the level and variety of exercise depend on your age, fitness level, and medical conditions.
For exercise to be beneficial to your health, should be treated responsibly. There are benefits and possible side effects in any activity (which we can avoid by taking it seriously).
An Indispensable Stretch
Stretching is an integral part of the path to a healthy and attractive body and should be part of any exercise or sport you do.
What is Stretching? – it is a set of exercises aimed at stretching muscle fibres. Often, it should be done at the beginning and end of a workout. Basic stretching requires no special physical training.
What are the types of stretching:
- Passive stretching -This type of stretching is performed with the help of a trainer or an experienced assistant, but requires the utmost care and is not suitable for people who are not active or professionally involved in sports. The advantage is high efficiency.
- Action-reaction – initially the muscles and ligaments are loaded to the maximum, after which you should stretch.
- Dynamic stretching – The most popular example is leg swings with a gradual increase in amplitude. The disadvantage of this stretch is the high risk of microtrauma to the ligaments.
- Static stretching is the most popular type of workout. What’s the point? After taking a pose for stretching, you should stay in this position for 15-30 seconds, not forgetting to focus on how comfortable the posture is.
Why do we need to stretch?
- Regular stretching significantly increases the blood flow in the muscles, and this contributes to their development and accelerated recovery after strength loads.
- Stretching Improves the elasticity of muscles, tendons and ligaments. That is why stretching is one of the best types of fitness for the elderly.
- Stretching exercises can have a marked effect on improving muscle shape. The fact is that such activities extend the dense shells of muscles the fascia.
- Correct stretching helps balance the body. Intensive work on stretching the muscles of the legs and pelvic region stimulates sexual function. For both women and men!
- Stretching helps to accelerate metabolism.
Stretching tips from trainers:
- Increase the level (strength) of stretching gradually, and smoothly abrupt movements, as if a muscle is injured, this could cause more damage.
- There is no need to “push” yourself and do “with all your might”. The body’s defensive reactions can work, which, on the contrary, will lead to active muscle contraction, which we do not need!
- In stretching, the main thing is not to rush and do everything in a measured way.
- Don’t count on instant results! Anything fast is not healthy. Plasticity and flexibility develop gradually.
- Stretching should be regular.
- Stretch when your muscles warmed up in closed clothing.
- Breathe smoothly, holding the stretch, it is possible to increase the stretch on a smooth exhalation.
- Talk to your doctor if you are unsure about an exercise.
Regardless of your age, you can find activities that suit your fitness level, age and needs!
Power Inside You
The cult of power existed even in the days of Ancient Greece we are convinced of this after studies at various historical museums and admiring the statues of that time.
The peak of strength training came in the 1980s (Thanks to the legendary Arnold Schwarzenegger).
What is strength training?
Strength (anaerobic) training is bodyweight or auxiliary weight training. Strength training in its purest form – destinies, powerlifters, bodybuilders. But a brilliant combination of anaerobic loads with exercises for coordination, stretching, cardio load allows you to use fat, emphasizing the relief of the body effectively.
Depending on the number of strength exercises. The density of their performance, the number of repetitions, the focus on different muscle groups, different types of training form.
Some sports use strength training: weightlifting, discus throwing, bodybuilding, and shot put. Strength training is also inherent in team sports (football, basketball, rugby, volleyball).
People that visit sports clubs choose strength training to change their body, make it fit, muscles more expressive and strengthen muscles.
What are the benefits of strength training?
- Metabolism accelerates
- Tendons, ligaments become stronger
- Strength indicators increase
- Muscle corset strengthening
- Many diseases associated with the musculoskeletal system pass, due to improved blood flow
- The cardiovascular system is strengthened
- Improves health due to the release of hormones (serotonin, dopamine)
- Stimulates the production of the male sex hormone testosterone, as well as growth hormone
- As a nice bonus – you gain confidence in yourself and your abilities
Main principles of strength training:
- the number of repetitions of exercises and approaches
- exercise pace
- manipulation of weight that creates a workload
- a training plan tailored to the trainee’s goal
In the course of strength training, only the muscles that you load work, develop, grow. A plan is needed to address all major muscle groups. There must be a recovery break (one to two days) of muscles between workouts. After intense workouts, the muscles receive microtrauma, and the body recovers them “with a reserve”. Do not Do the Complete Exercise for all muscle groups in one day. More frequent strength training is possible, but only if you pay attention to one part of the body, and be sure to replace the types of loads.
Additional equipment (dumbbells or barbells, exercise equipment, resistance bands) helps to create the necessary tension during anaerobic exercise. Some exercises perform with resistance to your body weight, such as push-ups or pull-ups.
Additional weight training equipment is selected individually based on your goals, health and age.
Types of training to improve strength.
Strength exercises at home from the outside are similar to circular training: you squat, do push-ups, swing the press, do other activities. This kind of strength fitness develops endurance, strengthens the heart, and increases strength. Strength training without weights in various activities or general strengthening training.
Horizontal bar and parallel bars
Beginners are recommended to perform strength exercises on a horizontal bar and uneven bars without weight. When you jump from the horizontal bar tothe ground – try to do it gently and on your toes, and not on your heels, avoiding a traumatic load on the spine.
The set of exercises in powerlifting is built based on the chest press, squats and deadlifts, their various combinations and leading exercises. As for the health of the spine, people with back problems need to be very careful with this type of strength training and not take risks.
Plan your hard workouts so that one muscle group is not stressed more than once a week. We want to note that the morning period is not the best time to lift weights. It is better to train during the day and in the evening. After strength training, it makes sense to pedal the stationary bike.
CrossFit develops endurance and strength at the same time. This is strength training for all muscle groups. Sometimes all these groups work on the same day, which is not always correct and safe. This exercise can be done at home. A serious CrossFit strength training program can only be implemented in a gym and under the supervision of a specialist.
Recommendations to pay attention to when doing strength training:
- A set of strength exercises in the gym is recommended after a good warm-up. Loading cold muscles is not only ineffective but also extremely unsafe, especially if you are working with weights. By the way, strength exercises at home can be done after active warming up.
- For heavy strength training, you’ll need plenty of protein and carbohydrates.
- Provide your body with rest and recovery between workouts for at least 2-3 days.
- Listen to your body. Sharp pain during exercise indicates an injury. It would be best if you didn’t continue to work with weights through this pain until you understand the cause. A serious strength training program should be written by a qualified professional. Otherwise, you risk losing time or health.
Prevention of injuries
Now let’s talk about what inept strength training can turn in to. Of course, it is difficult to harm yourself by doing this training without weights. But those who work with hardware and other equipment should pay attention to some essential points:
- Know your diagnoses. Before active strength training, you should consult with your therapist.
- Do not exercise on a full stomach.
- Make sure that the room maintains a normal microclimate. Drafts, stuffiness should be avoided; the air temperature should be comfortable.
- In the gym, do not rush to take “big weights” without practising the correct technique and practice.
Situations when you should seek medical advice when strength training.
- Various diseases of the cardiovascular system
- Multiple conditions and injuries of the musculoskeletal system
- Infections, inflammations with high fever
- Serious conditions, spinal injuries
- Period after surgery
There are many strength training techniques. Experiment, choose what works for you and gives results in your particular case.
Balance As a Basis
Do you want to move beautifully or learn to dance beautifully, or maybe feel confident on an ice rink? If you do not have innate good coordination of movements, you do not need to worry. This quality can and should be trained.
A simple coordination test
Stand on one leg. Bend the other leg at the knee and lift to the chest as far as possible. Change legs in a minute. Then answer your questions:
Was it easy for you to keep your balance?
Which leg was more comfortable to stand on during the test?
Now repeat the same thing, but with your eyes closed, for 20 seconds. If all is well, then great! If there are some difficulties, then do not worry, everything is fixable.
What’s the best way to train balance?
Unstable balance platforms can help with this, as:
- Stabilizing muscles are involved, small muscle groups that do not function with other heavy loads;
- The shock effect on the spine and joints is excluded;
- Body flexibility develops;
- The brain learns to control the position of the body in space – due to which it is possible to avoid injuries in the future.
What are the benefits of coordination exercises?
- Strengthening individual muscles (especially the stabilizing muscles of the spine)
- A sense of balance develops
- Dexterity increases
- The likelihood of sports injuries and severe bruises decreases
- The importance of rhythm and tempo improves
Developed coordination is a quality that will simplify fitness, dance, martial arts, and just come in handy in everyday life.
How our heart works will affect our well-being and progress in training.
You can even say that according to the indicators of cardiovascular work, one can determine the state of physical health. Walking for 10 minutes or climbing to the second floor is difficult? Shortness of breath? It’s time to pay attention to training. Such training is most often associated with the development of endurance.
Endurance exercise affects breathing and heart rate and can improve lung and circulatory health—the prevention of many diseases that are typical for the elderly.
Physical activities that develop endurance include:
- Fast walk
- Sport games
Types of endurance
Cardiovascular endurance- ensures long-term work of the heart and blood vessels with increased activity. Requiring cardiovascular exercise: walking, running, cycling.
Muscle endurance – depends on the number of continuous contractions of muscles and their groups. For training, multiple repetitions of exercises are necessary: squats, pull-ups, twists.
Types of endurance exercise
- Aerobic exercise – in the process of aerobic exercise, the oxygen saturation of the body increases, forcing us to break down carbohydrates and excess body weight goes away. Also, blood flow to all organs and muscles increases and the overall tone rises.
- Speed training – aimed at exercising as fast as possible.
- Circuit training – performed even at home for several repetition cycles.
- Special – promotes the development of a particular muscle ability. Mostly these are recommended for athletes for a specific sport where professional muscle group endurance is needed.
The best endurance exercises
Experts recommend how to increase endurance by performing different types of loads:
For better recovery of the body, recommended to run every other day. You should start training at a slow pace, gradually building it up. If running is difficult, you can prepare yourself by starting with a brisk walk, monitoring your breathing. Running is the most accessible type of activity. However, in some cases, it can do more harm than good. For example, if you are overweight, or have problems with the spine or joints, then jogging should be postponed, as it can negatively affect the spine and knee joints. If jogging is too exhausting and increases your heart rate too much, replace jogging with walking.
As a result, the cardiovascular system works, all the muscles of the legs, buttocks, and the press is trained. Side effects are similar to those of running.
Swimming and aqua aerobics
For endurance training, it is necessary to train in or a natural body of water. It is essential to swimming long distances, which helps to prepare the cardiovascular and respiratory systems.
Thanks to the reduced stress on the knees and feet, such work helps to shed those extra pounds. Cardio load reduces the risk of heart disease. Riding bike trains the vestibular apparatus and coordination of movements. Cycling practitioners also report a reduction in depression.
So, its recommended to follow these tips on how to increase the level of general body endurance and get rid of extra pounds.
An important factor is a systematic approach and regularity of training; only, in this case, it is possible to achieve a lasting effect and proper training.
You can increase endurance by simply maintaining daily physical activity in a walking format (at least 8-9 thousand steps). If you do not have time to walk during the day because of work, do not forget about the possibility of an evening walk, which will also have a beneficial effect on the quality of your sleep.
Do not forget that any physical activity has its pros and cons, benefits and side effects. There is no need to train “to wear and tear” and try to take the load like professional athletes. Don’t forget about your diagnoses.
That is too much, not sane!
Know when to stop, choose what is pleasing to your body and soul, and enjoy your workouts!
We invite you to familiarize yourself with our guide for the best workouts for all muscles at home.
If you liked the article and found something useful in it, please share or leave a comment.