Many Hollywood stars, if they are to be believed, are on an alkaline diet. And all because it promises harmony and prolongation of youth. Should you try it?
What is an alkaline diet?
An alkaline diet means a partial or complete rejection of foods that “acidify” the body.
Certain foods produce alkaline waste after being digested, while other foods produce acidic waste. Acids tend to accumulate in the body. And when there are too many of them, the acid-base balance is disturbed, various diseases develop, the state of health worsens, and the ageing process accelerates.
With a diet dominated by acids, the balance in the body is disturbed, and many important substances (potassium, sodium, magnesium, etc.) are “lost” or not absorbed.
Today, many celebrities follow the alkaline diet: Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Aniston, Victoria Beckham, Elle Macpherson all believe that this particular nutrition system works best.
Who can benefit from an alkaline diet?
To give up acidic foods in favour of alkaline, nutritionists recommend people with the following problems:
- joint diseases
- gastritis with an increased level of acidity of gastric juice
- overweight: exceeding the normal pH level slows down metabolic processes in the body
- the general state of lethargy. It is known that “heavy” food, and when digested, takes a lot of energy
- increased nervousness
- rashes on the skin
However, the causes of such conditions can be caused not only by food, so you do not need to fanatically rely on diets, but it is better to consult a doctor.
Сontraindications of an alkaline diet
In the course of research and new scientific discoveries, many “trend” diets have lost their popularity and were recognized as “more harmful than beneficial.”
While the alkaline diet seems safe at first glance, it is not a “magic pill” for everyone. Any change in diet is some stress for the body, and like any diet, it has its contraindications.
Contraindications to an alkaline diet:
- kidney disease
- diseases of the cardiovascular system
- children’s age (we remind you that children should eat well)
- problems with gastrointestinal tract: the diet of an alkaline diet is rich in fibre, which can cause intestinal cramps, problems with digestion, flatulence.
- elderly age
Alkaline diet rules
The main task of the diet: to achieve a balance of acids and alkalis in the body.
It is necessary to start by changing the diet. It is compiled from the calculation: 70% alkaline products and 30% “acidic”.
No fanaticism: a sharp change in regime is stress for the body, the transition should be gradual.
In order not to harm the stomach, we eat fractionally: five to six times a day.
Take food seriously. The plant-based portion of the alkaline diet contains a lot of “coarse fibre” and takes time for the body to process.
Chew food thoroughly.
We minimize the amount of salt and refined sugar and hot spices.
Gradually give up coffee and soda.
Drink a lot of water.
Try not to eat after 19.00.
The main phases of the alkaline diet for weight loss
The alkaline diet consists of three phases, each with its characteristics.
Lasts 7 days. Its main task is to move the too “acidic” pH of your body to the correct alkaline side. The process of switching to a new diet may be accompanied by general weakness, dizziness, and nausea. However, if you are very unwell, it is recommended that you stop the diet.
Also lasts 7 days. At this stage, it is assumed that the balance of acids and alkalis in the body is close to normal. First of all, this is manifested in an improvement in well-being: it stops hurting or dizzy, energy returns, and the stomach no longer bothers. Weight can slowly decrease.
The last seven days are aimed at consolidating the already obtained result. Overall well-being is expected to improve significantly.
At this stage, it is worth making a decision: if the diet is to your liking, some of its principles can be continued and made permanent. For example, limited consumption of refined sugar, salt, fatty meats, coffee, etc.
List of foods for alkaline diet:
- Any kind of fresh vegetables (cucumbers, onion, tomatoes, potatoes, artichokes, etc.)
- Fruits: apples, pears, kiwi, watermelons, apricots, peaches, avocados etc. (for quick weight loss, choose fruits with a low glycemic index; green apples and pears)
- Root crops (turnips, beets, carrots, celery)
- Greens: dill, celery, parsley, spinach (fresh only)
- Plant-based milk and tofu cheese
- Certain fermented milk products (non-fat)
- Low-fat types of fish
- Nuts: almonds, hazelnuts, dates, chia seeds
- Poultry: White chicken and turkey meat
- Cereals: buckwheat, oat bran, wheat germ, quinoa, brown rice
Foods not allowed on the alkaline diet:
- White flour and all baked goods made from it
- Milk and cheese
- Alcoholic drinks and coffee. Let us recall that although many cannot imagine their morning without a cup of aromatic coffee, coffee is considered the main “acidifier” of the body of all drinks
- Legumes: variegated beans
- Meat: beef, veal, lamb
- Fruits: prunes, cherries, cranberries, blueberries, all canned fruits.
- Nuts: peanuts, walnuts, cashews
- Cereals: white rice
- Chocolate: all types of milk chocolate
In conclusion, we can say the following
As you can see, the alkaline diet does not require a strict rejection of any type of food. It is quite affordable and does not require a big budget, although it may seem very difficult for avid coffee lovers and those who have a sweet tooth.
Fans of the alkaline diet say that it helps to improve well-being, will be useful for those who want to lose weight, and can also help improve the conditions of the body associated with an acid-base balance.
On the Internet, you can find a lot of recipes for delicious healthy breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.
*The article is for informational purposes only. Before use, you must consult a specialist!